Curious facts about tulum
Date June, 22nd, 2016
If you thought we have said it all when it comes to Tulum… then this might surprise you! These are 6 facts that you probably didn’t know about this magical place.
- Its original name was Zamá, which means sunrise. Tulum, which means enclosure or wall, was the name given once the archaeological zone was discovered.
- Its strategic position facing the sea made Tulum a commercial maritime emporium, which also originated the exploitation of the marine resources of Quintana Roo.
- Tulum was an astronomy school for noble Aztecs, Zapotec, and other ancient cultures reigning in the time of its splendor.
- The city was dedicated to the planet Venus and built around an astronomical tower, with rooms of obsidian mirrors to project the sky and study the stars.
- In 1981 the area was named Tulum National Park due to the richness of its flora and fauna.
- It is the only protected natural zone in the Cancun-Tulum corridor and the hydrological region that contributes the largest amount of fresh water to the sea with its subterranean rivers and cenotes.